Monday, October 11, 2010

'I'm glad I chose history'

Toby Bakare had to decide between a law degree – which had financial potential, and history – which was his passion. This is his story:

As a kid, I was always interested in history, but at school it was not seen as a useful subject. For my GCSEs I was told to study more practical subjects, like business studies and ICT. I wasn't very good at these subjects. I didn't enjoy them, but I could see the logic in studying them, so I did.

When it was time to choose subjects at A-level, I learned from my mistakes at GCSE and knew that I wanted to do what I enjoyed and what interested me; history became a must. At college, I became passionate about the past. This was because of two fantastic teachers who didn't just teach facts and what would be in the exam, they talked about ideas and why these ideas mattered.

Click here to read this article from The Guardian