A conference on medieval and early modern Grantham, an English town in Lincolnshire, will be held from 9.30am to 4.30pm on Saturday, April 25 in the Ballroom of the Guildhall Arts Centre.
The list of speakers includes Dr Glyn Coppack, Professor Philip Dixon, Dr Beryl Lott, David Stocker and John Maddison and among the subjects to be covered are:
"The Angel & Royal Inn"
"St Wulfram's Church"
Another lecture will cover the intriguing tale of the Apple Cross, an elaborately carved medieval standing cross that once stood to the west of St Wulfram's Church in Grantham. It is thought to have been given to the town between 1500-1530 by Bishop Richard Fox, Bishop, who was born in Ropsley and became the founder of the King's School. The cross was demolished by Parliamentarian soldiers in 1646. The carved stone panels were taken by Edward Rawlinson who used them to decorate a chapel (later known as the Oratory) in his house near the site of the George Hotel (now the George Shopping Centre shopping centre). By 1807 it had disappeared and all trace of the carvings was lost.
The conference is being organised by Grantham Museum and the Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire. The exhibition currently at Grantham Museum, "Grantham Then & Now", shows many of the buildings and structures which will be discussed at the conference.
Tickets cost £10.00 and are available from Grantham Museum or from the Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire.
Tel: 01529 461499 or email: email@example.com