Thursday, August 30, 2012

Couple discover 33ft deep hole built in middle ages beneath their living room after spotting bump in the floor


A couple have discovered they are sitting on a piece of history after uncovering a 33ft-deep medieval well under their sofa. But although Colin Steer, 61, is fascinated by the historic find, his wife Vanessa certainly isn’t and even made her husband wait more than two decades after it was first spotted to begin exploring it.

The couple moved into their Victorian home in Plymouth, Devon around 24 years ago, when they first noticed a slight indentation in the living room floor.


Mr Steer, a former civil servant, said: ‘I was replacing the joists in the floor when I noticed a slight depression - it appeared to be filled in with the foundations of the house. I dug down about one foot and saw that it was a well but my wife just wanted to me to cover it back up because we had three children running around at the time. I always wanted to dig it out to see if I could find a pot of gold at the bottom so when I retired at the end of last year that’s what I did.’

Click here to read this article from the Daily Mail